Acne Magazine

All About Acne and How to Treat This Skin Condition

Note about Microderm for Acne »« Good acne discussion forum to visit

Bare Minerals Makeup Good for Acne Cover Up?

I saw some before and after pics of what these new mineral based foundations can do for your skin, and although I’m not really a follower of the Bare Minerals or Bare Escentuals makeups yet, I am nonetheless intrigued by the before and after pictures of women with blemishes, circles and discolorations who, after they applied the foundation, looked as if they had flawless skin.

These mineral makeups are supposed to be very light, so I think they would get the thumb’s up for use with acne prone skin due to the fact that they are noncomedogenic in nature, and are in fact an all natural makeup.

Also, I have several friends, young and old who have given the makeup nothing but rave reviews. Most women say, they were so used to using a regular foundation, which provides instant gratification ie instant coverage, vs. the mineral makeup, which is a powder form foundation.  Since the powder goes on so inconspicuously, so does the coverage, but reportedly once it sinks in, it looks flawless.

I’ll have more to report once I start using a mineral foundation.  Right now, I’m trying to use up my current foundation, which is Revlon Skinlights, mixed with L’Oreal foundation for combination skin.  I really like the effects of that, but I’m always willing to try new things in makeup and cosmetics too.

Be Sociable, Share!
May 21, 2006 at 12:29 pm
26 comments »
  • May 24, 2006 at 9:21 pmDiana

I have used the bare minerals makeup amoung a lot of other foundations. I like the makeup and the way it feels on my face. I feel as though I have 0 makeup on. The reason I do not like the makeup is because I have oily skin in the t-zone area and the makeup does not help control the oil at all. Plus I have large pores and the Bare minerals makeup makes my pores appear huge. I have tried everything to make the pores look smaller and still no luck. I bought their powder foundation, the mineral veil and a brush to help blend better, still my pores seem larger than life. It is too bad since I do like the makeup. I had to return everything I bought.

• January 1, 2007 at 6:05 pmviv lin

Agree. I have oily skin with large pore. Bare Mineral do make my pores appear huge and more visible. It enlarge the flaw on my skin.

Then, I applied other creammy foundation as the a base first. It works better. But it’s still not a perfect solution.

• April 8, 2007 at 10:04 pmjacqueline

I have been very experimental with foundations lately and i found the Bare Minerals and Bare Escentuals products to be less than satisfactory. I live in california so it is pretty ot during the day, and since bare minerals is removed with water i am sweating it off. It doesnt provide very good coverage and higlights pores. It has a little shimmer to it which makes the pores look larger and the forehead sparkly. I do like the mineral veil though. I apply my normal cream foundation and apply mineral veil on top to set it.

• July 5, 2007 at 11:54 pmSue

Hey guys,
    I saw your postings on the Bare Minerals makeup and I really have to disagree. I also have combination skin (oily on the T-Zone and very dry other places) and large pores around my nose and cheeks. After I clean my face I rub some ice cubes over my face. It contracts the pores immediately and makes them look smaller. After dabbing my skin dry I apply Mineral Veil BEFORE I apply Bare Minerals .Then another THIN coat of Mineral Veil. Don’t apply any bronzer/warmth on problem areas as it tends to make things ‘pop’ out more. (Keep problem areas a shade or two lighter). And-voila, almost perfect. It really works, you just have to play around a little bit.
    I also like that I never get any new breakouts from Bare Minerals. And trust me, I’ve tried the “you can even sleep in it” a couple of times.

Sue

• July 15, 2007 at 8:15 pmSarah

An earlier article stated how this product does not cause acne breakouts. Unfortunately I feel like the foundation does. There is however, another chance that the bare Vitamins is causing the breakouts since I have been breaking out with little bumps just as the other posts have stated from the usage of this product. I really like the way this foundation works and covers my blemishes, and so i hope that this is not causing my breakouts. Is it a possibility that it is from the bismuth oxychloride, which has been known to be a chemical that can cause breakouts? It seems to not effect you guys. Hopefully it is the bareVitamins, so don’t buy that!!

Hi Sarah.  I really do hope that it’s not the Bare Minerals makeup, because one thing I love about it is that it contains a sunscreen that in my opinion is the best one for acne sufferers since it is not a lotion and is way less likely to clog pores.  As an acne sufferer, I always found it hard to find sunscreens that did not irritate my face and finally with the Bare Minerals I feel like I’ve found that.  There is always a chance that someone may either be allergic to or sensitive to ingredients in anything, so never say never, but maybe you should try discontinue the barevitamins and see if it’s that first before giving up on the makeup??

Acnemag.

• September 5, 2007 at 5:36 pmsusy

I have to agree that this makeup really isn’t very good. I immediately noticed my pores looked huge just as the others have said, and I also broke out terribly as soon as i used it. This could be a coincidence.. but I’m not sure. It’s more expensive and is worse. I don’t think I would recommend it.

• September 27, 2007 at 1:54 pmJoAnn

I also find my pores accentuated by Bare Escentuals, and after a few days of use, my skin has begun to react terribly. I had to rush home this morning to wash it off – terrible itching reaction. AND I am experiencing a new breakout, after less than a week of use. I initially loved the look, and it feels soft and pampering, but over time, it is causing problems. I also researched the spf claims, and dermatologists caution AGAINST using these products as sunscreen. The cover is very minimal, and you would have to cake it on thick in order to get the protection they promise. I’m afraid I will have to go back to sunblock lotions, although I dislike the feel and look.

• October 29, 2007 at 3:37 amSally

I too find that Bare Minerals makes my large pores look 10 times worse. This stuff made my pores look big in areas where I don’t even have large pores! The Mineral Veil is great and their brushes are very nice but the Bare Minerals foundation was terrible on my oily skin as it made me look twice as shiny with big crater-sized pores.

• November 16, 2007 at 10:22 amhannah

DO NOT USE BARE MINERALS or any other mineral foundation that contains Bismuth Oxychloride it causes breakouts. My friend told me about this product and how great it was for her so i decided that i would use it to. after about a day of use i broke out herendously. It was the worse breakout that i have ever had before i suggest dont use this product at all.

• January 6, 2008 at 9:00 pmbethany

i totally dissagree with you people , i have acne all over myy face and redmarks, and some poct. when i use bare minerals it completly covers the problems, and makes my skin look like i have light acne. i have trieds sheer cover and it was good, but bare minerals is wayyy better, also i love barevitiamens they make my skin smoother and it breaks out less, im also on actutane so most my actual acne is gone, but i think the bare minerals covers and helps improve your skin, i definatly suggets this product
    p.s. dont use to much fondation a little will cover everything a lot will make your skin cakey

• January 11, 2008 at 12:39 amellie

I think it’s obvious that Bare Minerals works for some women, while not working for others.

I recently tried the product and have broken out. I’ve also noticed that since I get “allergy shiners,” the products really don’t help conceal those or other blemishes (esp. the acne which the product has caused me.)

It’s an exciting product that, if it works for you, great, but it’s something you’ll just have to test for yourself. I’m going to try to return the foundation kit, but I am interested in trying the eyes kit.

• January 24, 2008 at 3:48 pmStacey

I loved the way this makeup made my face look when I got it but I have broken out soooo terribly since I started using it. I used to be able to go without any makeup but now, I have to wear it constantly to cover up the nasty complexion underneath. It does cover the nastiness well but since it seems to be the cause for ti as well, its a catch 22.

• February 10, 2008 at 6:51 pmBeth

I tried Bare Minerals expecting to love it & was very disappointed. It was horribly itchy and too pink for my skin tone. The coverage is very smooth with a silky flawless look, so its worth a try; my skin is just insanely sensitive.

Also, Bare Minerals contains Mica, which can irritate pores. According to my dermatologist, mica can get into the hair follicle, cause irritation & possibly clog the pore, thus leading to breakouts.

From Acne magazine : Hi Beth.  This is so interesting.  We’ve had so many people comment that Bare Minerals has had this effect on their skin, and I’ve also heard some say that it doesn’t seem to hurt their acne.  I guess this is truly a case of what suits the user!  Thanks for your input…

• March 27, 2008 at 6:53 pmSarah

My aunt gave me the foundation and foundation brush, and bisque and cover up brush for my birthday and it works really nice on covering up blemishes and what not. It also gives me a really nice natural glow on my cheeks that I really like. Also, when I started using it I noticed two weeks or so later that my skin wasn’t at troublesome as before.
    The bad aspects about it though, is that it doesn’t help for oily skin. I don’t really mind the T-zone, except for my nose because it’s covered in blackheads. I use the cover up for it, but later in the day it just smears off because of the oil, and I get consience about whether or not people can see the blackheads. I started using a loreal matte for it, and it works much better than ID. It also does make my pores look huge, which I guess I don’t really mind.
    So note that it’s not helpful for people with oily skin and/or large pores.
    Otherwise I guess it’s nice, but I don’t really think is worth the price.
    If you find a cover up that doesn’t reveal oil, tell me please.

• July 23, 2008 at 11:22 pmLINDSAY

DON’T use this product if you have sensitive, acne-prone skin. I used it for three years before I blogged for a few days and concluded that my problem was Bare Escentuals. That was the only thing that I hadn’t removed from my regimen. My breakouts became much more frequent. I bought some new kit at BE this past weekend and that sealed the deal. I woke up the next morning covered in a red rash that resembled an acne breakout all over my face (especially cheek area). It is absolutely embarrassing and I know now that BE has been the culprit all along. I have stopped using it as of two days ago and my face is ALREADY calming down. I will be getting my money back. It is probably the mica and bismuth oxychloride that made my skin HORRIBLE. Good luck to everyone. I think I will be doing A LOT of research and sampling BEFORE I ever trust a “mineral” so good you can sleep in it again. Thanks!

• September 18, 2008 at 7:20 pmLinda

I also bought BE thinking it would be good for my skin. Boy was I wrong! The only places I would get acne sometimes would be the T-zone. After using the faux tan color they have, a bronzer that you put on your cheek bones, chin and forehead for a “sun kissed” look, consequently gave me painful nodular acne instead! This is more than likely due to the mica and bismuth being fine powders going into my pores. I would never get acne on my cheeks! But slowly after a month of using it I have this terrible acne now. I highly discourage anyone using BE.

• October 24, 2008 at 5:13 pmDarcie

I wouldnt recommend this product to anyone. I rarely break out with acne, I might get one pimple every few months or so but since Ive been using BE I have broken out all over my face. On my forhead, cheeks,and chin. They arent just regular pimples either they are deep and wont go away! UGHH….. I saw someone said the minerals are so small they clog up your pores, Thats what I think too. Trying this make-up is not worth the risk.

• November 15, 2008 at 12:43 amkatherine

im researching this makeup because im not even 13 yet, and my acne is severly bad. im the only 1 in my ENTIRE school who get acne this bad! and no, im not exazzerating! anyway, whenever i go to sephora or ulta, i usually ask the ppl who work there to help me put it on and it looks really good. but this last time i went, i did it myself and i thought it looked just as good as when the pros did it. i must say that im really falling in love with this makeup and am definately going to buy it within the next week, b/c it really works good, and i think i really need it.

• January 11, 2009 at 4:41 pmcc

My experience with Bare Minerals is that it makes my skin look crappy and I actually stopped using it and have gotten fewer comedones and my skin looks younger. I think that some people may be able to have success with Bare Minerals, but I have extremly oily skin, and this did not work for me.

• September 7, 2009 at 8:23 pmkirsten

i love bare minerals makeup. Its really important to apply the prime time foundation primer on your face before applying the makeup. This prevents the makeup from entering into your pours and making problematic skin worse. primer acts as a shield, and it keeps your skin from looking oily throughout the day.

• November 1, 2009 at 3:33 amNora

I have oily skin & live in Phoenix, AZ (100+ degree days) I only tried bare minerals once and that was enough to not like it…a lady at the mall applied it (on my freshly showered face)it did make my pores look bigger, it did not look natural AT ALL..and by the time I got home about 4 hours away my face was super oily, I took a kleenex to lightly blot the oil away…the bare minerals make up fell off completely with my blotting…no thanks…I’ll stay with Revlon color stay foundation…the only one that has worked for my very oily skin in hot, hot AZ days!

• December 19, 2009 at 4:54 amCarly

I have been using Bare Minerals for almost six months now and I love it! I visited the Ulta beauty store for the first time, when one of their estheticians introduced me to Bare Minerals. I use the Rare Minerals skincare line, and Bare Minerals Matte and my acne has cleared up tremendously and I will NEVER go back to liquid foundation. But a problem i have found with it is that it isn’t a quick makeup routine and buffing away all the imperfections and making your skin look good takes several minutes, not seconds to apply.

• January 26, 2010 at 1:46 pmKim

I’ve been the before and after pics, that they said the models had oily and large pores and it looked great. I have the same I bought the starter kit and I do not like it, pores look bigger plus after the oil kicks in it gets cakey looking and it seems like evern shinier looking than with liquid foundation. I’m always looking for makeup that will help with oily skin and this was not one of them.

• February 8, 2010 at 11:19 amconny

I have been using Bare Minerals for like two weeks and I was soooo happy with the feel and the finish, but it turns out it cloggs my pores and it made me break real bad. I have done some research on the foundation and the ingredients I didn’t like what I found so I stoped using.

• February 13, 2010 at 3:21 pmKendall

Bare Minerals is probablly the greatest make up in the world. I have extreamly oily skin and Bare Minerals saved my life. I have tried everything from Wally World discount to MAC foundations and Bare Minerals was the only one that reduced the size of my pores and actually helped reduce the amount of oil my skin produces. It is completely worth the money. All the people who say don’t buy it probablly didn’t follow the steps ie putting on the mineral vail BEFORE putting on the foundation. I have the most sensitive skin in the world and this is some of the only make up that doesnt give me hives. LADIES TRY IT AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS! You will look amazing.

• April 23, 2013 at 9:06 pmLinda Francis

The best way to control acne UNDER makeup is to use the Citrus Clear Grapefruit Spot Treatment – it works GREAT under makeup. This is a great product for layering under other products. Not only does the ph make the 2% salicylic acid effective (and it is a pore clearing agent and is great for sensitive skin) but it contains green tea. The gel formulation means that it can be spread easily – I don’t like liquid formulations. And the price is right!